It is one of the most dreaded brain disorders that can affect mankind. It is chronic debilitated condition which has its
impact not only on patientâ€™s life but also on the people around him especially family members. It is a syndrome (a
cluster of symptoms) which results in marked socio occupational and personal dysfunctions.
- Positive symptoms: Hallucinations (hearing voices not heard by others), muttering and talking to self, delusions (false and firmly fixed
ideas), violent aggressive behavior,
- Disorganized behavior : Decreased self care, irrelevant talking
- Negative symptoms : Anhedonia (not able get pleasure in surrounding activities), apathy (loss or decreases emotions) and avolition (
decreased initiation of activities)
- Cognitive : Loss of concentration, mild impairment in memory , decrease speed, poor problem solving
- Medications: Antipsychotics are mainstay of treatment and require close follow ups and adjustment of doses to monitor adequate
response and minimize side effects.
- Hospitalization : when patient is not taking medication or in severe cases.
- Modified elctro convulsive therapy : In treatment resistant and severe cases.